Monday, June 10, 2013

Road To Civil War: The Private Journal of Bruce Banner (Part 1)


KnightErrantJR is currently running a Civil War campaign over Google Hangouts using the awesome (and now defunct) Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game. There's 7 other players involved, and I'm impressed with how well Jared's been handling it so far. I have the awesome privilege of being able to play Bruce Banner (and the Hulk, of course). Surprisingly enough, I find Banner far more interesting than his mean, green, alter ego but haven't yet had much chance to explore the man behind the monster. Reading up on his history, watching a few episodes from the television series and the movies, I just feel really bad for the poor guy.

He risked his life to help someone else and, in return, he was cursed. I'm not saying that other heroes don't have it rough, but still, they've got nothing on poor Bruce Banner. Sure, Spider-Man's got the Parker Luck and he's suffered his fair share of tragedy, but he also gets to make out with Black Cat. Just sayin'.

However, I'm getting off point. Basically, one of the players (who plays Wolverine) has started writing a journal of sorts for his character. I liked the idea and, well, here we are. Hopefully, I can do some justice to Dr. Banner and Jade Jaws.
 

. . .


LOG ENTRY #1
This is the private journal of Dr. Bruce Banner. And I do mean private. I spent the last few weeks studying cryptographic engineering and I'm encrypting this with a Vernam cipher once I'm done recording. A little extreme, I know, but Tony's got a bad habit of nosing around in my stuff and.. sometimes a guy just needs a place to vent!
Apparently my place to vent is on the Moon. There was a time in my life where, if someone had told me I would be living on the moon with every piece of scientific equipment at my disposal, I would have thought they were crazy. Stark has assured me that it'll be the safest place for me to work without putting others at risk, and I'm willing to trust that he knows what he's doing. Of course, he's proven me wrong before.
I'm hoping, with access to a laboratory like the one he's got in mind, I might finally be able to do it! Cure the Hulk! Ever since that terrible day in New Mexico, I've been trying to discover the means to get rid of him. Because of the Hulk, I've been hunted my whole life by people that have either wanted to kill me or turn me into some kind of weapon. It never seems to go well for any of them, or anyone else for that matter. He goes away, and leaves me to deal with the destruction that I've caused and the people that I've hurt.
 
The last time, I practically destroyed Las Vegas, and it finally got to the point where I decided to turn myself in to S.H.I.E.L.D., hoping that they might have the means to contain me. Things didn't exactly.. work out, of course. The criminal Electro caused severe damage to the Raft, a prison designed to hold super powered people who posed a danger to society, like myself. With the power knocked out, the villains escaped and I, regrettably, lost control again, escaping from my self imposed imprisonment. 
When I came to, I managed to reach an old house in the woods that I had previously stayed at when I had been in hiding. There, I had begun to try and work on a plan to make sure that I would never pose a threat to anyone again. I considered the possibility of cryogenically freezing myself, a little 90's, I know, but it seemed a feasible enough solution if the science was sound. It worked for the Captain, after all, but then again I'm no Super Soldier either.
But I'm getting off track. Stark has me staying at Avengers tower in the meantime while everything is finalized. They've tried to make my stay as stress free as possible, but I can't help but worry about the damage I might cause if something goes wrong. Still, who knows, maybe I'll manage to do some good before they fly me to the moon.
END OF LOG
. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment